Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Proudest Moments, Hoola Hoops and Gratitude

Another great week at SOHO - happy early Thanksgiving! Girls and mentors switched groups this week and divided up for our second round of Girl Talk and Photography! So far, Girl Talk has been a great addition to SOHO. Girls and mentors have a place to talk about what's going on in their life and really dive into some of those more important life skills. Tesni has managed to make all of this fun through unique activities each week.

The goal for Girl Talk this week was to listen to each other, problem solve, work together, become more comfortable around each other and make some hoola hoops! This week Girl Talk started by talking about our proudest moments. Each sister shared their proudest moment and everyone in the circle was so excited to hear each one.  Then each big and little sister worked in pairs on a fun drawing activity.  Each pair was given a big sheet of paper that had a line drawn down the middle to divide it in half.  The big sister started drawing on one side and, as she drew it, the little sister had to exactly mimic what she was drawing on the other side. Then they switched places.  Though it was simple (and really fun!).  Afterwards the pairs talked about the experience and what they learned or felt. Girls talked about feeling shy about drawing in front of their big sister at first, but then became more comfortable just doodling with each other. They also talked about they had to work together; they might need to slow down or speed up depending on how their partner was doing on their drawing.
After their drawings, each girl decorated her own hoola hoop which was a prop for their next activity.  When each pair had finished decorating their hoola hoop, everyone placed theirs on the ground and they sat inside their hoop together.  Tesni then put out candy, pencils and stickers just within arms reach and then further and further out from each hoop.
There two main rules to the activity: body parts couldn't touch the floor outside of the hoop and you couldn't step outside of the hoola hoop. Every group came up with their own strategy. Big sisters and little sisters held onto each other to try to reach what was outside the hoop. Sometimes it was really clever (using pencils as tools). Sometimes it was really funny! Almost all the prizes were picked up by each pair thanks to their awesome teamwork.

Afterwards, the pairs talked about how it took a lot of trust to get their prizes. It also took a lot of strategy and teamwork to figure out who they were going to go about solving the problem. Tesni emphasized the aspect of teamwork in this activity; girls or big sisters could not have done this alone.  Tesni compared this to our lives as a whole and how we need to rely on some people to be successful in the things that are important to us.

While the girls waited to meet up with the other group who were with Liana for Photography, everybody hooped with their new hoops! We'll talk more about photography class next week, but the girls are learning exciting things!

After a tasty snack of salad the girls went off to finish up their hand-made journals. Constructing the books themselves requires a lot of concentration and teamwork: lining up all the pages, holding everything together while the other sister sews it together...but it was all worth it in the end. Each book has a different fabric binding so the girls can tell whose is whose. They all turned out beautifully! The girls all did a great job and there were no problems or snafoos at all.

Now that our books were done, the first mission for our journals was to think about what we are thankful for.  Thanksgiving was coming up and we all wanted to spend a few minutes to write down those things we feel the most gratitude for.  All the girls were quiet when writing, big and little sisters wrote separately. After they were done, Tesni explained that the SOHO girls were going on Instagram along their statements about what they were thankful for.  NPR was doing a #psthankfulfor post - those chosen would be on their website! Everyone was so excited at the possibility of being picked.

Everyone talked about what we were excited for or hoping for during closing circle this week.  All the girls and their big sisters did a wonderful job of being thoughtful and respectful again this week, with answers ranging for hope for a family member being well, to being excited for thanksgiving food, to seeing their families for the holidays!

 

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!


I am thankful for my mom because she always cares for me, and my big sister Bonnie because she is just like me because we both like to LAUGH a lot and I also so like Bonnie because she likes to write her name over and over again because it’s fun and we are both cra-zay girls and we also like to paint and draw and skate and I can’t forget about SING! -Naitaijah
I am thankful for my little sister Naitaijah’s awesome sense of humor because I love to laugh! (and she is legit funny!) -Bonnie


I am thankful for my best friends because they’re so funny. I get to see them every day and it’s incredible how they’re loyal and honest. I am also thankful for SOHO because it’s a time to be with friends and new people. I love SOHO because so far I’ve got to have so much fun with my SOHO big sister Grace. She’s so fun to be around and I love getting to see her every Thursday. -Amber
I am thankful to know my friends, family, and community because people and the relationships we have are the most wonderful experiences. -Grace


I am thankful for my Big Sister, Sarah, because she cares about me, my school because they provide me with education and love, and my community because they come together and care about each other. -Caliyah
I am thankful for a safe space to learn and grow, because it is so easy to get lost in the day to day and forget where I’m going and why. -Sarah


I am thankful for my family because they help a lot. I hope that everybody is safe. Happy Thanksgiving. -Geaneé
I am thankful to live in a community of thoughtful and creative people because I see how these innovative people are helping their community to thrive! -Grace


I am thankful for my family: my dad and grandma because my grandma does everything for me and my dad is the reason I’m me. I’m thankful for my blanket: because I just LOVE it! I am thankful for notebooks because I love writing. I’m thankful for my “Big Sister” Catherine because she’s awesome. -Marcella
I am thankful for  SOHO and the opportunity to volunteer my time, build a relationship with my little sister, Marcella, and learn a lot about myself along the way. I am thankful for my 8th grade teacher for encouraging me with creative writing and making me feel talented. I am thankful for healthy food and energy! -Catherine


I am thankful for my life because if I didn’t have a life, I wouldn’t have met my family and friends. I am thankful for Jesus and God because I wouldn’t be here. -Destiny
I am so thankful for my health, especially as I see those around me suffering from illness, injury, disease, and accident. I am so thankful for my husband who sees who I truly am and who loves and values what he sees, and who tells me this often. I am so thankful for SOHO, which gives me the opportunity to meet people I wouldn’t have otherwise known, and to learn from them and see the world and myself through new eyes. -Mary Ashburn


I am thankful for my friends and family because they help me get through things if it’s tough. I am thankful for my family because I wouldn’t be on this Earth if it wasn’t for them. I am thankful for my friends because when my family is not around they got my back no matter what. I am thankful for these people very much and I am thankful that they accept me for who I am. -Alexus
I am so grateful for the opportunity to grow within a community- a community of women gathered for the sole purpose of impacting this next generation. -Tara


I am thankful for my mom because she is the best mom ever, my sisters, God, my big sister (Carley), going to AJCES, and my grandma because she helps me on my homework. -Tiasia
I am thankful for my life experiences that have made me who I am today. -Carley


I am thankful for my family because every time I feel down they help me put my head back up, my life, my cheering team, and my big sister (Akeara). -Shemoanee
I am thankful for my health; I want to live a long life so I’m thankful that I’m on the right track. -Akeara


I am thankful for my family, friends, my house, my big sister Niki, food to eat, shoes and clothes on my back, SOHO, and my school. -Chrishanda
I am thankful for having a good job and my co workers listening to all my 1st world problems. -Niki


I am thankful for God putting me on Earth because I wouldn’t be so happy every day like I am and I wouldn’t know any of my good friends, and for teachers to depend on and teach me. I am thankful for SOHO because it is so fun, and my big sis at SOHO. She is very kind (Shelby). -Markayla
I am thankful for the opportunity to get to know a diverse group of girls at SOHO because they help me continue to grow and learn. -Shelby


I am thankful for my Mom and Dad because they are always there for me when I need them, my sister, my school, and my friends. -Sadé
I’m thankful for love, peace, and so much happiness because it’s good for your health! I’m thankful for God and his amazing blessings bestowed upon me daily. I’m thankful for my amazing family, boyfriend, and friends because of the consistent support, love, and consideration daily. I’m thankful for financial stability and my career! HDL is the best place to work! - Shardaé

No comments:

Post a Comment